- Fruits with antioxidants helps fight many degenerative diseases including cancer, heart disease and diabetes.
- Free radicals in the body causes oxidative stress which results in cellular DNA damage.
- Damage to the cell's DNA is often a major role in cancer development.
- Antioxidants are essential to neutralize free radicals.
- Fruits with antioxidants have been proven to counteract the effect of free radicals and help in reducing oxidative stress and related diseases.
Free Radical scavengers
Antioxidants are also known as free radical scavengers and is essential to neutralize these free radicals. Human body by itself creates some amount of antioxidants. However, it majorly relies on external sources (from diet) in order to get the required amount of antioxidants that is required to fight the free radicals entering the body. Examples of antioxidants are selenium, coenzyme Q10, lutein, lycopene, anthocyanins, lipoic acid, beta-carotene, catechins, flavanoids, Vitamin C and E. Antioxidant rich fruits lowers the risk of several diseases. 1 Many studies have shown that taking antioxidant supplements (instead of fresh foods high in antioxidants) do not help in the prevention of diseases. So it is very important to consume an antioxidant rich diet including fruits and vegetables to make use of the beneficial effects of antioxidants.
The darker the chocolate is, the more antioxidants it contains. So when eaten in moderation – just a few bites from a well-made dark chocolate bar, for instance – there’s no need to feel bad about indulging once in a while.
– Marcus Samuelsson
Fruits with antioxidants have proven to counteract the effect of free radicals and help in reducing oxidative stress and related diseases. Various animal studies 2 have proven that increased levels of antioxidants have shown to prevent free radical damage.
Infographic on Anti-oxidant rich superfruits
Refer this infographic to understand which are the Fruits with antioxidants and make sure you include them in your daily diet. Also, try to rotate them daily to get the best benefits out of your diet.